Tuesday, March 15, 2011

DIY: Wall Mural

Yesterday I finally got around to painting the wall mural in the nursery :) I am kind of in love with birch trees because of their gorgeous white bark and the way they grow so skinny and tall. 

Photo: Michael Hudson, Source

I knew for a while that wanted to put trees on the wall and I think it definitely suits a boys room. I looked at some of these wall decals that seem to be everywhere right now, but couldn't get myself to actually pay that much money for something I feel skilled enough to do on my own. 

Source
Source

However, I still had a little bit of hesitation due to the size of the project and was worried about being able to achieve the right scale without the help of a projector. I looked around for a cheap art projector but again couldn't get myself to spend money on that either ;) WoW I didn't realize how frugal I can be! So I ended up just free-handing the entire thing. 
I guess the worst that could have happened is that I would have had to repaint the wall. The worst did not happen :) 
I actually really love how it turned out and its whimsical qualities as opposed to a more bold, graphic look of the decals. It only took me a little more than an hour to do so I wasn't completely exhausted afterwards either ;) Some of you ladies out there probably know how exhausting just a little bit of physical activity can be when you're almost 31 weeks pregnant...


I am happy with the way it looks but I may still add in some birds or leaves. We have a bunch of picture frames to hang and I want to put up shelving. So again, it is not done but we are one step closer :) 

If you want to give this a shot all you need is some left-over paint and a few different sized paint brushes. The darker the wall the bolder your trees are going to look. Obviously, if you have a very light wall you may want to use darker paint. Do any of you have murals or decals on your walls? I would love to see them so feel free to leave a link in the comments section. 

Also, I am still looking for more bloggers who would like to join the blogger rewards program. For more info just click here :) 

Hope you are all having a wonderful Tuesday, we have our last childbirth class tonight, yay! 
   

29 comments:

  1. that's so beautiful!! it looks incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks incredible! I can't believe you did that! very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think yours came out beautiful. I agree it is hard to pay for wall murals (they are soooo expensive).
    ~Kimberlee
    www.TheSpunkyDiva.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is AMAZING ! Good job ! Loving the grey background too.
    You are so talented !
    Come follow me back !
    XO
    http://lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice work!! Lucky baby!
    Found you at the Welcome Wednesday hop. :)
    ~Wendy
    www.artsychaos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! This turned out AMAZING! :) I found you at Eisy Morgan and I'm so glad I did!

    xxoo,
    Liberty

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing! You did an awesome job! And for 31 weeks pregnant, you're a rock star! Just looking at the wall makes me tired when I think about painting it. Wanna come do my nursery walls? : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - it looks great! I love anything grey and I'm sure it will all come together perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I'm a new follower from the Wednesday hops!! Hope you are having a great Wednesday!
    Happy Hopping
    ~Kortney
    www.kortneyskrazylife.com

    P.S. Love your work! You are so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously this is an amazing job! I really want to paint a mural in my kids rooms if we EVER get a house..ha. So this inspires me more! THanks for linking it up:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! Beautiful! I'd love to do something like that, but lack the talent. :(

    I'm a new follower from the Welcome Wednesday Blog hop. You can find me at www.naptimeismytime.com

    Best,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it looks great!!

    Found you through Blog Hop ... new follower. Would appreciate a follow back! IDoTheeWedSara.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so in love with birch tree's too. I've thought about doing a bathroom in American Clay (see my blog) and troweling on birch trees. Of course I have to stop renting and start building if that is ever going to happen! Thanks for following me and checking out my blog! I'd be happy to follow you back :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a great job! Love the contrast of colors. Very soothing for me hope it works for ba too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I am so glad you all like it. I visited so many of your blogs and I hope I didn't miss anyone. There is so much great talent out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh this is DARLING! I love love love the birch tree ideas. I've done a couple wall murals and I've freehanded them all. I didn't even know there was such thing as a art projector! LOL

    I think some cute little birds would be adorable, maybe even a little nest. I think if you're going to add photos it would be cute to put a nail next to one of the branches, and use some cute rustic yarn to hang the picture, so it looks like the photos are hanging from the branches. Does that make sense? Maybe? Just spouting off ideas... :P

    It looks fantastic... really... you should be PROUD! :)

    Oh and P.S. my sister wants me to do a tree wall mural on my niece's bedroom wall so this really helped with the inspiration. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you did a great job! they look just as good as the vinyl decals.

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. how beautiful! thanks for the visit... happily following you back! malia

    ReplyDelete
  19. This turned out really well for you! I cannot bring myself to buy the vinyl either. :) I do have a projector and want to find an image to use, and give it a try.... still looking. When I was a kid, my dad painted a jungle scene on the front-entry hall via a projector and acrylic paints. It was awesome!!! He did like it 100% though, so he painted over it after about 1 month. :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's such a shame Shelly :/ Thanks for stopping by and saying HI!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love birch tree too! You did a beautiful job with painting yours!

    I bought this teal and foil tree wallpaper a few years ago at Target. I didn't know what I was going to do with it at the time, but I ended up accenting a few walls in my bedroom and bath. It frames my windows so I didn't need to have any window treatments. I just love it!

    http://entertainexchange.blogspot.com/2009/03/w-e-moved-into-new-house-about-16.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know I already commented, but I wanted to say thanks for linking up! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful job! Your baby room is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just found your blog and am your newest follower. This is amazing and I'm completely inspired. You are one talented woman with one very lucky little babe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this idea! And for you to do it free hand with leftover paint makes it even more special. Thanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  26. pretty nice site and unique content for people. Visit for more information on Nursery Wall Art

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...