Monday, October 31, 2011

Entertainment Center From Pallets



I've had this idea in my head for a while now: Use pallets to build a real piece of furniture. 
Yeah, I know it's not all that original and a lot of people are pinning pallet projects all over Pinterest lately but they are all such great ideas.


So I didn't let that deter me and a few weeks ago I asked my father in law to pick up some pallets from work and drop them off at our house. We had to wait a week or so until he came across the right ones, ones that were in good enough condition to use for a piece of furniture. Then we spent an entire weekend prepping the pallets.


We cut 3 pallets in half and stacked them, bottoms facing to create the larger openings, on top of each other. Because the wall that holds the TV is wider we decided we needed to add to the unit for it to be large enough. So we cut another 3 pallets in half but this time in both directions and added the smaller cubbies on the side. Does that make ay sense? 


After figuring out how to configure the whole thing we sanded the heck out of all the pieces. This wasn't a lot of fun to do but totally necessary. Pallets are pretty rough and if you don't want to get a splinter every time you touch it you need to sand a LOT!!! Use power tools and don't try to sand by hand. 
The whole process probably took us 4 days since we also have a baby to take care of and the weather didn't always cooperate. If you stick with it more than we could you should be able to do this in 2 days.


After the sanding was done we mixed some white stain from Ikea (left over from our stairs and doors) with Polyurethane. Spend the extra money and get the one that cleans up with soap and water. The brand we used was Valspar.


We put on an even coat and let them dry. If you want to do this 'right' you should now sand again and do another two coats of stain with a sanding in between. I'm not patient enough and I also didn't want the wood to get too white. So we only did one coat ;)


We then brought everything inside and stacked the pallets the way we wanted. Hubby got some metal plates and caster wheels from Lowes and we went to town.
Be prepared to adjust the pallets a little bit, since they may not be square, by clamping them and attaching one piece at a time. It took both of us a few hours to get it all screwed together. 
Lastly we attached the caster wheels to the bottom, so now we can easily move it around if we want to.


I love it! I love the industrial look a la Restoration Hardware but with a waaaayyyy smaller price tag. 
I also like that it's not perfect. There is so much visual interest there and I just can't stop looking at all the details. 


Overall the project cost us:


$27 for all the brakets
$30 for the caster wheels
$30 for the Polyurethane 
The pallets were free :) 


So it wasn't a super cheap project but it was well worth the money we spent. 


Have you built anything from pallets lately? If you build something similar make sure to let me know, I would love to see it :) 

17 comments:

  1. Wow - I think it looks great, and it's a new idea to me! I've had to ban myself from my pinterest obsession, but you've made me want to see what else people are making from pallets. ;) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes, i love it!!! just found your blog- beautiful, looking forward to see more great stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just loved this! I a, your newest follower.
    www.thezkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of re-purposing like this. You did a great job!

    I have posted about a few of my favourite Halloween pins on my blog so if you have 5 Minutes to spare please pop by! I would be honoured if you could also link up your post to my weekly Pinning and Singing Pinterest Linky Party as this post is just fabulous!

    Best wishes and happy pinning!
    Natasha @ 5 Minutes Just for Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great use for pallets! I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.Wow.Wow! This is so restoration hardware worthy! I would love for my readers to see this and would love it if you would share it at my "Meet Me Monday" linky party! They would love to meet you! Awesome either way! Love, Me www.youaretalkingtoomuch.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! It looks very professional - and could be straight from a designer magazine!!:)

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow,Loooooooove it!!!!Nice blog.You have a new follower,You can check out my blog here
    http://erika-shineon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is just beautiful! I love it! You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE IT!!! I will be pinning yours AND showing it to the one that has been looking for "the" entertainment center project, maybe this is it! Thanks for sharing. Found you at Sugar bee!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for linking up! I'll be featuring this on my blog on Saturday!

    http://sumossweetstuff.blogspot.com

    Thanks!
    Sumo:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the idea and the pictures are fabulous! Voting for you in the "A Round Tuit" http://meijosjoy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you to everyone for your lovely comments, it means a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday - you were featured today!
    --Mandy, www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is seriously so awesome. Especially since I've been pinning anything pallet on pinterest. Great job, it looks great. And thanks for linking up to thriftaholics weekly :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh do I ever love a good pallet makeover! Come on and link this up to my very first link party at: http://icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com/2011/11/head-to-head-showdown-1.html
    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...